The LGC bicycle, pedestrian, and trail program initiatives target planning, programs, and implementation coordination dedicated to developing a comprehensive pedestrian and bicycle network that serves the needs of residents and visitors.
Program activities are targeted at:
- Developing bicycle and pedestrian corridors as articulated in regional, local, and state plans;
- Activities that expand bicycle and pedestrian safety and education programs and infrastructure development;
- Developing resources, such as maps and education information that promote bicycling as transportation option and recreational outlet;
- Coordinating with existing infrastructure projects and programs to maximize implementation opportunities and financial efficiencies;
- Pursuing local, state, and federal funds to advance pedestrian and bicycle programs, planning, and implementation;
- Provide support and technical assistance to advance pedestrian and bicycle resources and education;
- Serve as a liaison to VDOT, DRPT, and DMV to ensure state programs are articulated and advanced locally;
- Serve as a clearing house for local, state, and regional pedestrian and bicycle related resources; and
- Provide support to local initiatives, events, and organizations to advance pedestrian and bicycle safety, education, and participation.
The LGC bicycle, pedestrian, and trail program activities are guided by the yearly approved transportation work program and overseen by the bicycle and pedestrian advisory committee, Region 2000 Greenway Alliance. The Alliance serves in an advisory role to assist in meeting the targeted program activities.
Guiding Program Documents
- City of Lynchburg On-Road Bicycle Accommodation Plan (update)
Project will update City of Lynchburg On-road bicycle accommodations from the 2010 Region 2000 Bicycle Plan
- Interactive Bicycle Map (update)
The current interactive Bicycle Map available at http://ridesolutions.org/commuters/bike-walk/bike-map/ is being updated utilizing new GIS software and will allow more user-friendly interaction for are cyclists.
- Development of a one-stop portal website for pedestrian and bicycle information for the greater Region 2000 area.
More Bicycle Lanes in Lynchburg
3 Feet Please - Virginia Passes Bicycle Passing Law
Your Input Matters - Share Your Transportation Visiuons
Learn about Bike Commuting and Local Routes
RIDE Solutions - Find information on local bike routes, combining mode options, bicycle safety and commuting tips, and more.
Bicycling, Pedestrian and Commuter Assistance
RIDE Solutions - Comprehensive information to assist in finding alternative transportation a commuting option.
VDOT - Access to VDOTs bicycle and pedestrian program information
Virginia Laws/Tips - Commonwealth’s Pedestrian and Bicycle Laws and Safety Tips
Bicycling and Pedestrian Organizations
Virginia Bicycling Federation
People for Bikes
League of American Bicyclists
Pedestrian and Bicycle Information Center
The National Center for Bicycling and Walking
Bicycle Accommodation Design Guidelines
Manual for Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD)
NACTO Urban Bikeway Design Guide